Heavy Meats & Good Eats: Chicken & Waffles
Introducing our newest blog series: Heavy Meats & Good Eats. Our friend, co-worker, and kitchen connoisseur Ben Young, will be teaching us some of his favorite recipes, reviewing restaurants he finds amazingly good, amazingly terrible, or interesting, and having an all around good time discussing food! And who doesn't love food? So, sit down, relax, and get ready to drool over plenty of Good, Clean Livin'.
Heavy Meats & Good Eats: Chicken & Waffles with Ben Young
Chicken and Waffles is one of those dishes that I enjoy making, it's a solid feel good meal. Contrary to popular belief, chicken & waffles began with the Pennsylvania Dutch but has grown over time to be recognized as a Southern dish. Maybe you imbibed too much of your favorite spirits and you're looking to soak up some of the Good, Clean Livin' you did the night before? Or you're looking to make a feel good meal on a Sunday, Chicken and Waffles is a dish that won't disappoint. Here's my rendition, enjoy y'all.
Boneless/skinless chicken breasts, butterflied
Waffles, store bought or if you want to be fancy and own a waffle iron, make your own
House Autry Chicken coating
Diced pickled jalapenos
Shredded cheddar cheese
Pickle juice for brine
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 Tablespoon of brown mustard
Syrup of your choice
Hot sauce of your choice (I prefer Sriracha)
Cooking oil of your choice, preferably peanut oil
1) Butterfly chicken breasts and add them to your pickle juice brine, Brine for one hour.
2) Add egg mustard and a few shakes of hot sauce to Buttermilk, blend and coat chicken with mixture.
Coat chicken breasts in House Autry chicken coat and add to hot oil.
Fry chicken @350 for 15 minutes or an internal temp of 165.
5) Set chicken aside on a drip rack to get rid of excess grease.
6) Make your waffles, if you need instructions on how to cook waffles, you're on your own. Mind you, I just made about 15 chicken breasts for this. I was not about to top it off with 15 homemade waffles!!
7) Place chicken on top of waffle, garnish with diced jalapeños, cheddar cheese, hot sauce of your choice, and syrup.